The Scheme was approved in June 2012 by the Government and was initially designed to reimburse tuition fees and on and off mandatory charges for the students of Balochistan, FATA and Gilgit Baltistan. In 2013, it has been made an integral part of Prime Minister's Youth Program. The scope of the Program has been increased since then and now 114 districts of Pakistan are eligible under the Scheme.
Financial Coverage of the Scheme:
- Actual Tuition Fee (of Masters , MS/MPhil and PhD programs)
- On and Off Mandatory charges which includes Registration Fee/Enrollment Fee, Admission fee (For new admissions only), Examination Fee, Library charges(non-refundable), Laboratory charges, Research related academic activities only.
- Non study related heads like transport fee, hostel fee, Sports fee, Endowment Fund, Equipment Fee, Health Fee or Any Refundable dues will not be paid.
- The Students having valid domicile/local certificate of specified areas under the Scheme.
- The students who are enrolled on merit in Masters, MS/MPhil programs in the HEC identified public sector universities/affiliated government institutions, located in the geographical territory of their province/Region/Area.
- The students who are enrolled in PhD program in the HEC identified public sector universities/affiliated government institutions anywhere across Pakistan.
- Students who are enrolled on self-finance basis or part time basis are ineligible.
- If Study period exceeds greater than approved duration under the Scheme, then the student expenditure will not be covered under the scheme
- Not availing any other scholarship under Provincial Government, Foreign donor or any other HEC Program (e.g. Indigenous Program, USAID scholarship etc.)
- Any Bachelors or four years Bachelors Program will not be considered. E.g. LLB, MBBS, B.E, BBA etc.
- The Scheme is only valid for the HEC recognized Public sector degree awarding institutions.
- Such Evening programs where fee structure is greater from the morning shift are excluded from the Scheme
- Such students who have financially benefitted under the Scheme at Masters/MPHIL/MS level and applied for same level Program again in different university
Student guidance to Apply and Payment Procedure
Students are not allowed to directly approach HEC office for the inclusion of names under the scheme. He/ She has to contact the focal persons of the universities incase any problem pertains to the online web portal system.
- Students who are newly admitted in Public Sector University in Spring/Fall Session (depending upon the university’s admission cycle) are required to apply through online student web portal system i.e.http://pmfrs.hec.gov.pk/ by the given deadline of HEC
- Newly registered are not required to validate their records.
- The focal person of the university will approve/disapprove ‘Newly Registered’ students by the given deadline of HEC.
- HEC, office will scrutinize the data and look for any discrepancies and ineligible students.
- HEC will ensure payments to the students according to fee structure of the universities and approved heads of the Scheme
- Only approved students meeting the eligibility criteria of the Scheme will receive payment.
- Cheques are issued in the name of VC of respective universities/ financial aid offices. The universities are responsible for the disbursement of cheques to students.
- The process of disbursement is ensured through help desk portal where universities assign assets through helpdesk system.
- Subsequent payments are processed on receipt of satisfactory Fund utilization report from universities.